published : 2023-09-07

Adopted Ukrainian Son Charged with Murdering Florida Parents, Leading Police on Hourslong Manhunt

Dima Tower is accused of brutally stabbing his adoptive parents to death in their North Port, Florida home

A photo prompt of a serene countryside in Ukraine, reminiscent of Dima Tower's early life in his native country. (Taken with Canon EOS 5D Mark IV)

A 22-year-old adopted from Ukraine as a teenager has been charged with the shocking murder of his adoptive parents in Florida, sparking a gripping hourslong manhunt by police.

Dima Tower, who recently celebrated his birthday behind bars, was arrested and booked into the Sarasota County Jail on two counts of murder last week.

The victims, Robbie Tower and Jennifer Tower, both in their 40s, allegedly suffered a brutal stabbing attack at their home in North Port, Florida. The couple had adopted Dima from an orphanage in Ukraine when he was just 14 years old.

Relatives describe Robbie and Jennifer Tower as compassionate individuals who were unable to have children of their own. They had made several mission trips to Ukraine before deciding to adopt Dima, who had experienced a difficult childhood.

An image of a loving family with their adopted child, symbolizing the hopes and dreams of Robbie and Jennifer Tower when they brought Dima into their home. (Taken with Nikon D850)

Dima Tower's troubled past included the loss of his biological mother when he was young, and his father abandoning him at an orphanage. Reportedly, he bore physical and emotional scars from his time in the institution.

Warren Rines, Robbie Tower's uncle, shared that the couple had noticed the signs of trauma in Dima even before adopting him. They had tried to provide him with love and stability, but it seemed that he harbored deep-seated anger within.

The tragic events unfolded after a disturbance was reported at the Tower residence on August 31. When officers arrived at the scene, they were confronted with a horrific scene of violence. Robbie and Jennifer Tower were found lifeless, lying face down in a pool of blood.

Within hours, police identified Dima as the prime suspect and launched an exhaustive search for him. The pursuit led authorities on a high-speed chase, with Dima eventually fleeing on foot into the nearby woods.

A snapshot of a peaceful church in North Port, Florida, where the Towers were actively involved and shared their faith with their community. (Taken with Sony Alpha a7 III)

After a tense and lengthy manhunt that lasted over seven hours, Dima Tower was apprehended near I-75 and Laurel Road. With his arrest, the search for answers and the motive behind the shocking crime continues.

As the investigation into this double homicide proceeds, police have not yet revealed a motive for the deadly attack. Dima Tower is scheduled to be arraigned on November 3.